Brief Historical Dates.

  • St. Mark's Church was consecrated on the
    7th November 1910.
  • The Architects were Austin and Paley of Lancaster.
  • Seating of 260 was envisaged.
  • The cost was estimated
    at £5,905
  • The Churchyard was extended in 1906 and 1926
  • The stained glass windows are:-
  • The Crewdson Window in the Baptistery which was placed in 1912 to the memory of Katherine Crewdson.
  • The Keith Aidan Sinker Window which was placed in the side Chapel during 1938 to his memory by his family.  
    He died in Africa on 21/12/37 age 32.
  • The Keesey Window which was installed in 1946 to the memory of George Ernest Howard Keesey and John Howard Keesey and is an addition to the memorial brass tablet of 1917.
  • The Maples Window at the East end which was placed in 1946 to the memory of Ernest Mark Cecil Maples by his family.
  • The War Memorial, initially to the memory of those who lost their lives in the First World War, was erected in 1921.
  • An additional inscription was placed on the War Memorial in 1948
  • The Processional Cross is in memory of Violet Marion Keesey 1969
  • A change in the lighting system from acetylene gas to electricity took place in 1934.
  • A change from a solid fuel boiler to oil took place in 1963.
  • The installation of an electric blower for the Organ took place in 1947.
  • The Creighton Charity was administered by the Vicar and Churchwardens to give bread to the poor of the Parish.
  • The Shippard Charity was for an endowment to the School and for the general benefit of poor persons.
  • A sample of the records show that there were:-
  • Baptisms:
    1919    Seven
    1960      Sixteen
  • Weddings:
    1919       Five
    1960       Six
  • Burials
    1919       One
    1960       Twelve
  • Cremations:
    1960       Two
  • Young People:
    1962 membership: Ten
  • M.U.                     
    1962 membership:  Forty


For more church information see
St Mark's Church











St Mark's Church Centenary 2010

This page reproduces material prepared by John Chandler and others for the Centenary Celebrations of St Mark's Church, September 2010.

The information is in three parts.  

For more church information see St Mark's Church


The Building of the New Church

1.  The Previous Church

2.  The Decision To Build A New Church

3.  The Builders

4.  The Foundation Stone

5.  Consecration


1.  The Previous Church.

There have been four churches built around Natland Green.  The first was built in 1246 and was thought to be no more than a room in size.  Much, much later it was probably also used as a School.  

A second church, of which little is known, was built on a different site in 1735 from which date a list of clergy is available.  

As the population increased so it was necessary to have a larger church.  On a new site in 1825, but the site of the present church, a third building was erected.  The construction of course reflected the architectural design of the time.  The church was long and narrow.

The pews were numbered and mainly reserved with only a few being for the poor of the parish.  The pews all faced the pulpit which was halfway down the church.  Thus half the congregation had their backs to the altar.  

By the 1870's ideas had changed.  In 1872, when Natland became its own parish, the seating was reorganised so that it all faced the altar and there were no longer any privileged pews.  Later in the decade there were some additional developments with a chancel, organ chamber and vestry being added .  

As the population continued to increase, particularly in the  railway homes of Oxenholme, it was necessary to further enlarge the church.  The architects Paley and Austin of Lancaster were asked to advise.  


2.  The Decision To Build A New Church

Although the architects Paley and Austin were renowned for the variety of their designs and numerous structures they were particularly famous for their Churches.  It is known that their advice was to demolish the existing building and construct a much larger place of worship as opposed to trying to enlarge the existing structure.  With the very significant financial support of the Crewdson family the relevant decision was taken.  

The following are the minutes of a special vestry meeting held on Friday August 17th 1908.  

The special business before the vestry was to consider the architect's report upon the fabric of the Church.  (It was) pointed out that the present building was of poor type, cramped and diminutive, draughty and damp and any expenditure on enlargement and improvement could not be recommended.  (Though there were plans for enlargement) they (the architects) suggested rebuilding (and) submitted plans for a new Church which were placed before the meeting.  

The Vicar (The Revd. Edward J. Miller) said he had consulted the Patron, who was strongly in favour of the rebuilding and he had written to the Bishop and the Archdeacon of Westmorland who both would support the scheme.  (Letters were read to confirm this.) The estimated cost was £4500  Mr. W. D. Crewdson, who was present, said that his Aunt, Mrs. Crewdson of Helme Lodge, and he were deeply interested in Natland and the welfare of its Church and people.  They had thought carefully over the matter and studied the plans and would like to offer £3000 as a gift to the scheme for a new Church if such scheme be adopted, the gift being in memory of his Uncle.  

The Vicar expressed the deep gratitude of the meeting and said it was a noble and generous offer and one that followed innumerable acts of kindness and generosity by Mrs. Crewdson and the late Mr. Crewdson of Helme Lodge to the Church in Natland and the Diocese.  

Mr. W. Howson said he had just been looking at the Church (and) he did not recommend any alteration or enlargement as he thought the present building was about done.  He recommended rebuilding.  After some discussion it was unanimously decided to follow the architects' advice and to accept with much gratitude Mrs. Crewdson and Mr. W. D. Crewdson's offer.  The Vicar was asked to apply for a faculty for the new Church and the following gentlemen were appointed as a building committee:- The Vicar, Messers Clapham, Crag(g)hill,  Crowe, Frere, Garman, Haythornthwaite,  Hutchinson,  Kendall,  Niblett, Pinch together with Messers F. W. Crewdson and W. Howson treasurers and Mr. Barnes secretary.

 The minutes record progress over the next three years, including:   

  • A further £300 has been added to the funds making £3300     
  • The architects advised that there should be two contracts the first for the body of the Church and the foundations with the second being for the porch and the tower.
  • There were also to be separate contracts for the organ and the clock.
  • The accepted tenders for the Church body and foundation work were:-
    Mason work      Messers Howie          £2437 15s 0d
    Joiner                   -        Hatch          £738
  • And for the porch and tower,
    Plaster/plating      -          Hall             £152  10s  0d
    Plumbing/glazing    -        Moorhouse   £349 19s  0d
  • Frank Crewdson was so pleased that the work could proceed without debt and at once with local tradesmen that he gave £500 to the project.
  • James Howie was asked to reduce his costs by £100  enabling some release of funding for the tower.
  • It was decided to ask W. D. Crewdson to lay the foundation stone and a trowel and mallet would be presented to him on this occasion.   Fund raising was organised and £14 was raised at a jumble sale.  A second-hand organ at a cost of nearly £14 was ordered and delivered to Oxenholme Station where it had to be collected.
  • James Howie promised there would be planks at the foundation ceremony upon which 200 people could sit.  The Crewdsons agreed to provide a stand-up tea for the occasion.
  • The work was so far ahead that a decision was awaited about the tower.  On hearing this Mr. Crewdson gave £1700 for this work to commence.
    The total contracts for the Church and tower now came to £5413  2s  0d
    The amounts subscribed by Mr. and Mrs Crewdson amount to £5200 with a grant of £173 and a further sum promised of £70 equalling £5413
  • There was no provision yet for seating but it was agreed pews would be free.   A house to house collection was organised to raise money for the oak pews with some donations being given.  
  • The arrangements for the heating boiler were left to the architects.  The latter's' advice was also sought regarding the gas lighting.
  • The cost of the clock was met by an anonymous Kendal donor.  
  • Some memorial windows were due to be reinstalled as allegedly promised to the Revd. C. Whittaker but the Committee decided to install a brass memorial tablet instead.
  • Advertisements were placed for a caretaker and cleaner.
  • The Bishop agreed to a Service on the 7th November provided there was no debt.  There was however £450 still to be paid.   In order that the consecration could go ahead Mr. W. D. Crewdson met this outstanding sum.  So on the 7th November the consecration service took place at 11am.  A collection was taken of £47 1s 7d.   Also a service of Evensong was held at 7.30pm.
  • After consulting the Archdeacon the new St. Mark's Church was insured for £3000
  • Further work was undertaken to have the organ boxed in but still allowing access.  A flower festival was organised for the 7th September 1911.

The architects' plans for the new Church are no longer thought to exist.

On the assumption that Paley and Austin kept copies in their Lancaster office these would have been sadly lost during the Second World War.

It is understood that the office was taken over as an Air Raid Precautions Headquarters and as a consequence the inexplicable decision was made to dump all the papers found in the office at the then equivalent of a refuse disposal site!!

The only known papers that exist are documents relating to building instructions.

These have been very kindly given to the exhibition by Dorothy Howie whose Grandfather built the Church.  


3.  The Builders

The Master Stonemason James Witton Howie and his building firm were used to build the new church in 1909-10. This photograph of Mr.Howie is believed to have been taken at a much later date.  

The photographs of the staff were taken in Howie's building yard at Canal Head and Bridge Street in 1897.  It is reasonable to assume that some of the large number of men shown were still employed by the company in 1909 and therefore worked on St. Mark's Church.  

The stone used to build the Church came from two sources.

The Lancaster stone came by canal barges to Hawes Bridge and finished the rest of its journey by farm cart.

The Darley Dale stone used came by train to Oxenholme and finished its journey in the same way.

The font was finished in situ from one solid piece of stone.

The pillar very close to the door which supports the tower is said to be larger than any in a parish church.


4.  The Foundation Stone.

The Foundation Stone was laid on Tuesday June 29th 1909 by W. D. Crewdson, the nephew of the original benefactor.

The service to lay the Foundation Stone took place on St. Peter's Day at 3 pm.

The address was given by the Lord Bishop of Carlisle attended by St. Mark's Vicar, the Revd E. J. Miller, and a host of local clergy including the Rural Dean and the Archdeacon of Westmorland.   

The choir and the organist Miss Dance accompanied all the singing which began with "O Lord Of Hosts, Whose Glory Fills."

Both in the official invitation and the Order of Service W. D. Crewdson is given the title Esquire which would be appropriate to his position in the community.  

However, the Westmorland Gazette describes him as Lieutenant W. D. Crewdson.  





Reproduced with the kind permission of The Westmorland Gazette
Click on the article for an enlargement

Prior to the laying of the Foundation Stone, a few well chosen words were said by James Witton Howie, the Master Mason, the contractor for building the church.  He then handed a suitably inscribed mallet and silver trowel to W. D. Crewdson.  The photographs display different aspects of the service.  One shows the Foundation Stone being put into place by Mr. Howie aided by who it is thought is his site foreman. It looks as if W. D. Crewdson is watching over them.  

The ceremony concluded with the hymns, "We love the place, O God" and "In the Name which earth and heaven."  

The Bishop then gave his address in which he spoke of the generosity of the late Mr. W. D. Crewdson, his wife Mrs. Crewdson and of their  nephew with the same name W. D. Crewdson. A collection was taken during the final hymn, "O God, our help in ages past."

The afternoon concluded with tea in the Vicarage Garden.


5.  Consecration

The consecration of St. Mark's Church took place at 11 a.m. on Monday 7th November 1910.   There was a large congregation to witness the unique occasion. The Bishop of Carlisle, the Bishop of Barrow, the Archdeacon of Westmorland and many other clergy joined the congregation and the Reverend Edward J. Miller for the consecration.

The service began with the hymn, "All people that on earth do dwell." The congregation were accompanied by the choir and the organist Mrs. Garman.

The petition for consecration was presented by the Diocesan  Registrar Mr J. N. Bowman.  

The Bishop of Carlisle signified his acceptance.

The service continued with prayers led by the Bishop of Carlisle.  The Bishop with his Chaplain, the Archdeacon, The Bishop of Barrow and the Vicar visited in turn the font, the lectern, the pulpit, the chancel and the Holy Table.  At each a prayer of dedication was said.   

The congregation then sang, "Now thank we all our God,"  Then followed Holy Communion during which the hymn, "We love the place, O God," was sung.  

The Bishop addressed the congregation and referred to the beautiful and holy piece of work all around us and how it must be a day of praise and thanksgiving for all the community.  He acknowledged that having been in the previous building himself some would have memories of the old church but we must move on and accept this wonderful new gift.

"It was a great day for the Vicar and a day of memories and hopes for the Crewdson family he in whose  memory it had been built and she who took such an interest and share in the laying of the foundation stone," said the Bishop.

The service concluded with the hymn, "O Thou who makest souls to shine."   



St Mark's Church 2010






For more church information see
St Mark's Church




St Mark's Church 2010

Celebrating The Centenary

This year sees the 100th anniversary of St Mark's Church, Natland.  

While we have been privileged to have a church for several centuries, our present building was completed in 1910, largely due to the generosity of the Crewdson family.  

We are celebrating and commemorating this centenary milestone in many different ways.

The first event was a Special Service to launch the celebrations.

This was conducted by the Archdeacon of Westmorland, The Venerable George Howe, at 10 a.m. on 14th February in St Mark's Church.

John Chandler, 28th January 2010


The New Church At Natland

The New Church at Natland is making satisfactory progress.  

So reported the Westmorland Gazette in its edition of Saturday 12th June 1909.

Consideration had been given to extending the Church, built in 1825. The architects Austin & Paley were asked to give their opinion, but they thought it would be a waste of money as the building was in poor condition. It was decided, therefore, to pull the Church down and rebuild it to the architects' design.  The Westmorland Gazette report included the architect's drawing of the church plus a detailed description of its dimensions and construction. If you click on the image below, you can view a reconstruction of the full article.

The Westmorland Gazette 12th June 1909

The foundation stone

The foundation stone (pictured above right) for the fourth Church in Natland was laid on 29th June 1909 by Colonel Crewdson whose family had provided much of the money for the new building.  The Church was consecrated on 7th November 1910.

The Lancaster stone came by canal to Hawes Bridge and the Darley stone for dressing came by train and was fashioned on the spot. The font was carved in situ from one solid body of stone and the pillar between the font and the south door is said to be the largest in circumference of any English Parish Church

East Window

Millennium Window

Millennium Bug

One feature of the Church is the very beautiful east window installed in 1946 and designed by Gerald Smith.  A modern stained glass window was installed for the Millennium, which includes a bug. Can you find it?

It is hoped to install another stained glass window during the year.

Sources: the St Mark's Church Centenary Events 2010 leaflet and the 1909 article
which is reproduced with the kind permission of
The Westmorland Gazette


St Mark's Centenary Logo

If you walk down the right hand aisle of St Mark's Church and stop at the pillar between the lectern and the Lady Chapel, you will see in the pillar the foundation stone laid by Colonel Crewdson in 1909, referred to in the item:
The New Church at Natland.  

The design of the carving in the stone has been developed by David, Hilda and Simon Walker to be the logo for St Mark's Centenary.


St Mark's Centenary Mugs

St Mark's Centenary Mugs are now on sale in Natland Church. They are available after Church services and at Centenary events.

They are white bone china mugs with a Royal blue image of the foundation stone on both sides.

The cost of the mugs is £4.75 each

You can reserve mugs by sending an
but we are not able to post them.

David Walker, 26th February 2010

St Mark's Centenary Mugs


The June Centenary Weekend

Last weekend was a particularly busy one for St Mark's Church as it continued to celebrate and commemorate the Centenary of its present building.  Saturday dawned warm and bright with the promise of this continuing throughout the day.  All was set fair for the Summer Fete and an army of workers under David and Kay Tiffin buzzed around preparing the many stalls from early morning ready for, what was hoped to be, an influx of visitors in the afternoon.  

The event did not disappoint with the hot weather bringing out one of the largest gatherings for many years.  The Fete kicked off with the arrival of two "old fashioned" cars, a 1933 Austin owned by Bob Parkinson and a 1972 Rover 2000 owned by Ross Pincott.  They brought with them to the gate of the Vicarage, The Reverend Angela Whittaker,  Dorothy Howie whose grandfather built our Church, Ann Packham and Wendy Balmer, two of our senior parishoners.  Wendy has attended our Church for around seventy years.  Between them they cut the tape across the Vicarage gate to declare the Fete open.  

The community flocked round the many stalls and there were queues for the refreshments.  Those who wanted a "quieter" pace were able to sit in the Vicarage garden and listen to the riveting music of the Lune Valley Vintage Jazz Band.  The children were not forgotten with a variety of games and activities on the Village Green.  The special attraction for them was a Punch and Judy Show.  The afternoon raised a much needed £2000 for Church Funds.  The Parochial Church Council are grateful for the support of all those who helped with and supported the Fete.  

The day was not over and the Centenary moved on to the evening with a Summer Serenade Concert organised  by Clive Walkley.  There were contributions from Pro Nobis, a Summer Serenade Orchestra with leader Roland Fudge and Nicholas Hurndall Smith, a professionally acclaimed soloist.  Many would have their own favourite but a highlight of the evening was undoubtedly Edward Elgar's Serenade for Strings.  Refreshments and a glass of wine served by Linda Wood rounded off an excellent evening and day.   

Sunday's weather was a contrast and consequently the Songs of Praise planned for the Village Green took place in Church.  For the second year running we were charmed by the Kendal Concert Band.  Between them and the large congregation and some very well known and loved hymns, the roof was "raised."   A collection made for the Band was very generously returned to the Church.  Once again the evening was brought to a pleasant conclusion with refreshments served by the Friends of St Mark's Church of England Primary School.  

The next event in the Centenary Calendar is the Festival of Flowers  from 2nd to 4th July.   

John Chandler, 15th June 2010


Ten Decades in Flowers

St Mark's Church celebrated its Centenary this weekend with a Festival of Flowers commemorating each decade of its existence.  A report, plus more photos, will follow in a few days time but meawhile here are the ten decades and their display designers.  

As usual, clicking on a picture opens an enlargement.

The First World War

Vera Hawes

Birth of the BBC

Yvonne Langhorn

The Abdication

Diana Dickinson

Winston Chruchill

Maureen Holmes

Climbing Mount Everest

Anita Blenkharn & Yvonne Sharp

The Beatles

Anita Blenkharn & Yvonne Sharp

The Silver Jubilee

Jenny Kelly

The Fall of the Berlin Wall

Norma Singleton

Education, Education, Education

Agnes Waller

Millennium Dome

Eva Gardner

Editor, 4th July 2010


Festival of Flowers

The Festival of Flowers at St. Mark's Church, held over the first weekend in July, was well attended, building from a slow trickle on Friday to a crowded church on Saturday and even the rain on Sunday did not deter visitors.   People came from places as far afield as Bedford, Crewe, Durham, Glasgow, Leicester, Norwich, Sheffield and Surrey to see the excellent displays so professionally arranged by a team of talented ladies.   It is truly amazing to know and experience the wealth of God's gifts that exist in our community.

The entrance gate

The entrance porch

Each window depicted an event or events from the ten decades of the last century using flowers and artefacts (see Ten Decades in Flowers).  Every window received glowing comments from so many of the visitors but perhaps the 1910's window depicting the waste of the First World War and railways in our area along with the 1950's ascent of Everest were amongst the most talked about.

1910s: The First World War

The Swainbank christening gown

1950s: Climbing Mount Everest

Oxenholme, the railway village

For those experiencing hunger and thirst a wonderfully warm welcome from the W.I. ladies awaited  in the village hall. The menu of soup, sandwiches, cakes and strawberries was greatly appreciated by hungry customers.

Jean Park, Doris Richardson, Audrey Cason, Kirsten Cannon, Pat Tetlow, Marion Thornton,
Sylvia Shaw, Margaret Lancaster, Caroline Lawson and Jean Dobson

The Parochial Church Council and its Centenary Committee wish to thank all those who contributed in any way to a successful weekend for St. Mark's Church. A very special thanks to all the flower arrangers who gave their time and talents so willingly, to the W.I. for their excellent catering and to all who showed their support by visiting the Festival.

Inside St Mark's

Close up!

St .Mark's Church Festival of Flowers is especially grateful to the sponsors, all of whom are local business people within our community, without whose generous support the event  would not have achieved such a successful outcome.  Over £2,000 was raised for Church funds but it was the spirit of the community coming together which undoubtedly was the highlight of the weekend.

 John Chandler, 9th July 2010


St. Mark's Church History Exhibition

As part of the Centenary Celebrations there was a history exhibition in Church from Friday 24th September until Sunday 26th September. The exhibition illustrated in a very simple way some of the events, international, national and local which had happened in the last 100 years.  

The Exhibition also showed changes in fashion over the period and copies of old Parish Magazines.

Amongst the first arrivals at the St Mark's Church Centenary Exhibition were the Year 5 pupils from St Mark's School.  They were using a History and Literacy session to learn about the development of Natland & Oxenholme over the past hundred years.  

Set against the context of what was going on in the world at the time, the exhibition provides a fascinating story told through photographs, articles, clothing and other artefacts.  It should not be missed by anyone who has an interest in the village or the church.  These photos of the displays gave you a flavour of what is on offer but the exhibition really has to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Editor, 24th September 2010


The Centenary Service

The Bishop of Carlisle preached at the service at St Mark's Church on Sunday 7th November and dedicated the new centenary banner that has been made by ladies from our fellowship. The banner is now installed on the south wall of the church.

The Bishop also dedicated a new window which had been made to remember Mrs Rena Blight who was a loyal and hardworking member of the Mothers Union.
At the request of Rena's husband Ben and family, it was made and installed by Sarah Sutton (daughter of Clive & Gill Walkley) of
Northern Lights of Kendal.

The third picture is of coloured crosses (our Centenary logo) that were coloured by pupils of St Marks school and attached to the large pillar to form a cross.

Mike Bagnall, 8th November 2010







 For more church information see
St Mark's Church




St Mark's Parish Magazine: 1898

The earliest edition of St Mark's Parish Magazine that we have discovered is that from May 1898. Below, you can read the headlines.  The content will be serialised in future updates of  Thanks to Billy Moffat for providing the original.

No. 5  May 1898

Price One Penny

  • Easter in Church
  • The School
  • The Doctor's Daughter:
    A Story of Real Life
    by Mary Hancock
  • God's Spotless Messengers
  • A Morning Prayer for the Little Ones
  • Ascension Day and Whitsun-tide
    by the Rev. C Pickering Clarke  M.A.
  • Glimpses of Modern Church History: The Reformation in Switzerland
    by the Rev. Henry Gee  B.D.  F.S.A.
  • Clerical Incomes: The Unbroken Continuity of the Church's Property
    by the Rev. H Granville Dickson  M.A.
  • The Ancient Cities of Refuge 
    by Wood Smith
  • Our Literary Competition
  • A Chat with the Girls
    by May Cochrane
  • Our English Butterflies
    by the Rev. B G Johns  M.A.
  • The Ascension of Our Lord
  • Hints on Indigestion
    by a Physician
  • Saints' Days
    by the Rev. Henry Greene  M.A.
  • Gardening Notes May
  • Rogation Days: Why They Are Kept
  • Kitchen Notes: On Steaming
    by Dora de Blaquiere
  • Home Chat: The Management of Lamps
  • Our Bible Questions for May and Answers for February
  • The Children's Page



St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  ii
The Adverts

In 1898, the St Mark's Parish Magazine carried an extensive number of adverts in its outer pages.  There are a number of names that will be familiar to older residents but the only one that is still in existence in the same line of business is Quiggins.  The nature of the adverts makes interesting reading and is a reflection of how life has changed.


There is the "Balsamic Mixture", the original Kendal remedy for and household cure for coughs, colds bronchitis etc.  Thousands of bottles sold, always with the same result, viz RELIEF AND SATISFACTION.  Other remedies, introduced solely on account of the SUCCESS of the above, are only poor imitations and should be avoided.

J W Taylor was a Hairdresser, Perfumer and Artificial Hair Manufacturer.  The weather hasn't changed that much- his other speciality was "Umbrellas Recovered".

Clogs were manufactured by Richard Billington whilst Wm Atkinson was a Gunmaker at The Sportsman's Depot on Highgate.

Teeth! Teeth!! Teeth!!! proclaimed Park & Co who offered to supply Artificial Teeth at prices within the reach of all.



St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  iii
The Local News

After the Adverts came two pages of local news.  

There was a report on Easter in the Church, a summary of the church finances, an item about St Mark's School that has already been featured on as Scrapbook #01, mention of a couple of baptisms and hearty congratulations to Miss Jennings on gaining the first prize in the competition for soprano singing in Kendal.  

This was followed by Life's May Day, pictured right.


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  iv
The Doctor's Daughter

It was not an easy part that Mrs. Hume had recklessly urged upon her daughter.

 At best, she could give her but the slightest information, and the girl embarked upon her new life very ill-prepared for the exigencies that might arise.

Mrs. Hume, however, had left the carrying out of her imposture to her daughter, and had no personal difficulties to encounter.  

Nor did she for a moment think that her plans could fail.

So started the instalment of The Doctor's Daughter- a Story of Real Life.  




St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  v
Modern Church History

After an item on Ascension Day and Whitsun-tide came an illustrated treatise about Glimpses of Modern Church History which focused on The Reformation in Switzerland.  

This was followed by an item on Clerical Incomes and spoke about the The Unbroken Continuity of the Church's Property.


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  vi
The Ancient Cities of Refuge

The city of Hebron

In Biblical times, if a man intentionally killed another man, the crime was punished by death.  It was the responsibility of the next of kin to see that justice was carried out. However, in order to guard against an injustice being done, "Cities of Refuge" were established where the "manslayer" might flee for protection and stand before the congregation in judgement.

Six such cities are described in this illustrated account, together with what subsequently happened to the cities in more modern times.


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898: vii
A Husband's Authority and a Wife's Obedience

The magazine continues on what today would be a highly controversial note.  The winning entry in "Our Literary Competition" discusses "A Husband's Authority and how it should be exercised" and "A Wife's Obedience and in what she is expected to obey".

Was this a more enlightened age?  

The magazine then moves on to a somewhat lighter note with "A Chat with the Girls" which incidentally explains the origins of the terms "spinster" and "wife".


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  viii
Our English Butterflies

After the controversy came the nature pages- an account of Our English Butterflies.

Lightly and informatively written, it describes how they progress through their various lifecycle stages of egg, caterpillar and chrysalis.

If only the illustrations were in colour, it would not have been out of place in the Wildlife pages.


 The Peacock Butterfly


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  ix
Hints on Indigestion

Practical advice, Victorian style, that would not be out of place in the magazines of today with its emphasis on vegetables as part of a healthy diet and its condemnation of frying- a very objectionable process.

Other advice might seem rather eccentric, however such as avoiding mental exertion whilst eating, or the taking of a spoonful of quinine wine before a meal.

There is also guidance on what to do about flatulence or belching plus the benefits of a soda and rhubarb pill taken after the meal.


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898: x 
Saints Days, Gardening Notes and Rogation Days

The first of May is St Philip and St James' Day.  But Why?  The reason is given.  Later there is an explanation of the origins and meaning of Rogation Days and why they matter.

Nestled between these articles are Gardening Notes with practical advice on growing Dahlias and the attention needed by fruit trees.


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  xi
Steaming and the Management of Lamps

More practical Victorian advice.  Firstly the benefits of cooking by steaming- a process made practical by the advent of gas.

Next, an article commenting on the dangers of certain types of oil lamps which can instantly explode and spread destruction around.  Safer alternatives are recommended plus how to extinguish your lamp without causing an explosion.  Did you know that domestic life had been so dangerous?

After the terror hopefully avoided, you could relax with a bible quiz and a chess and a draughts puzzle.


St Mark's Parish Magazine 1898:  xii
The Children's Page

The last page, before the closing adverts, is the Children's Page in which the ancient custom of sounding the Mayor's horn at Ripon is both illustrated and described.  

There is a story about how taking a bath became less repugnant for the little Prince Henry of German.

The relative values of a bar of iron when converted into horse-shoes, needles, penknife blades or watch balance springs are discussed.

The Battle of Waterloo is described but, although it involves the Duke of Wellington, it is not the version taught in history books!  

The first crossing of the Atlantic by a vessel using steam concludes the articles and the page is completed with an illustration of Queen Victoria's morning drive.


The Ripon Hornblower


Natland Village Green

Post Office and General Store

The Church on the Green

 This page has been converted from the previous Natland website:

Click here to return to Natland News